I was craving something hearty to eat for dinner. Something a little healthier. Something sweet, but not dessert.
The whole wheat flour in the baking cupboard was calling me, and so was a small packet of mixed berries every time I pass the breadbox (oh- the breadbox is home to chocolate, sprinkles and shortening, among other things ;p)
Got off my lazy, unproductive butt and this happened!
I wanted something healthy to go with a cup of earl grey tea, and this is perfect out from the oven. Grand Marnier is my new love for baking, it goes so well with most fruit baked goods!
Whole wheat Berry Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
120 g whole wheat flour
60 g cake flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
50 g butter, cold and diced
100 g white sugar
50 g brown sugar
1/3 cup buttermilk (75ml)
1 ½ vanilla essence
3 tbsp oil
100g dried berries, soaked in 2 tbsp grand mariner and 2 tbsp hot water
1. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together
2. Rub butter into flour mixture
3. Add in sugar and mix
4. In another bowl, mix buttermilk, eggs, vanilla essence, oil together. Add in liquid from soaked berries.
5. Combine the mixtures by adding the wet into dry, mix to combine. Do not overmix.
6. Fold in the berries. Spoon batter into muffin tins.
7. Preheat oven to 190 degrees, and bake for about 15 mins or until tooth pick comes out clean. Enjoy!
Mmm, healthy? Haha. I know my mouth and belly’s happy ;)