The nightmare weeks at work are finally over, but I’m just mostly frustrated trying to clear up other people’s messes. The woes of office life. But I shall not bore you with more angsty rants about my dramatic and boring (yes, how is that possible? I didn’t realise it was until I started working where I am…) cubical life, because I now want to share with you my new recipe for crunchy oatmeal raisin cookies!
I’m on a roll for crunchy cookies :D This was modified the previous crunchy double-baked chocolate chip cookies. Crunchy, thick, and very good for dunking. I got a few other classic cookie variations I’m thinking doing with the same recipe – coconut oatmeal, double chocolate chip, white chocolate chip with macadamia / cranberry, coffee and almond / walnut cookies. And maybe one with cornflakes!
Crunchy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Makes about 100 2-inch cookies
250g all purpose flour, sifted
75g baby oats
60g ground oats
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp all spice (optional)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
250g unsalted butter, room temp
100g castor sugar
100g dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup raisins (soaked in water for about 1/2 hour, then dried)
Additional oats for rolling the dough!
1. Preheat oven to 175°C.
2. Sift together the flours, baking powder, oat flour, oats, cinnamon powder and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, beat together your butter and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla essence.
4. Add in the flour mixture and mix until combined. Fold in the raisins.
5. At the point, you can drop them by teaspoons onto your baking tray.
I prefer to chill the dough and let it rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes so that it’s easier to handle. Roll them into about 1 1/2 inch balls, and roll one side of the ball in your extra oats. Place it on the baking tray without flattening it.
6. Bake for about 15 minutes, and remove from oven to cool. (If you want slightly softer, chewy cookies you can stop here :D). Lower your oven temperature to 150°C.
7. After cooling for 10-15 minutes, return cookies to oven for about 10 minutes at the lower temperature.
8. Remove from oven and leave to cool completely cool on cooling rack.